Circumscribed here to include species formerly placed in Smilacina.
1. Perianth of 4 parts; leaves 3 or fewer (very rarely 4, usually 2), sometimes pubescent beneath.
1. Perianth of 6 parts; leaves often more than 3 (1–4 in one species, where completely glabrous).
2. Inflorescence a panicle; perianth 1–2.5 mm long, the stamens up to 3 mm long.
2. Inflorescence a raceme; perianth 2.5–9 mm long, exceeding the stamens.
3. Cauline leaves more than 6, finely pubescent beneath (rarely almost glabrous); uppermost leaves surpassing the top of the inflorescence.
3. Cauline leaves 1–4, completely glabrous; inflorescence almost always overtopping leaves.
All species found in Maianthemum
MICHIGAN FLORA ONLINE. A. A. Reznicek, E. G. Voss, & B. S. Walters. February 2011. University of Michigan. Web. September 24, 2021. https://michiganflora.net/genus.aspx?id=Maianthemum.